Regular musings about those things most important in life--especially family, music, and college athletics. I hope you laugh. Please don't throw rocks at me.

13 September 2005

Weekly College Football Update

Week #2 Top 25:
[Tuesday, September 13, 2005]

1. USC (1-0) – DNP. Get used to hearing this: Until they lose, they are #1.

2. Texas (2-0) – Showed that they now have what it takes to win the big game. By the way, in their last two games against the conference, this team is 2-0 against the elite teams of the Big 10 now—can we stop saying how much better the Big 10 is than the Big 12?

3. Tennessee (1-0) – Tough test coming against Florida. We should see what both teams are actually made of.

4. Louisville (2-0) – Expect them to remain in the top five the entire season. If everyone else loses a game, will they play for the Title?

5. Virginia Tech (2-0) – This team crushed Duke—something Duke’s school paper reports every week. Still, the Hokies look to be the best team in the ACC.

6. Florida (2-0) – 2-0…against cream puffs. Now they have Tennessee.

7. Florida State (2-0) – Sure they won big over the Citadel, but 13 to 10 at the end of the first half is more than somewhat alarming!

8. Iowa (1-1) – Apparently, I was wrong. They can’t really run. Drew Tate was concussed in the first half, but I honestly don’t know if it even mattered. This was an ugly loss to a slightly better than average rival.

9. Georgia (2-0) – Eeked one out against Spurrier’s Gamecocks. This is the Georgia team I expected to see—a little shakier. This team will not win the SEC East, but they will jump Bama for winning two tough games to start the year.

10. Alabama (2-0) – The defense looked good, but they waited until the second half to get the offense up and going. That may work against USM, but they might have been buried by someone with more talent. [Note: verbatim echo of last week, changing only the opponent’s name.]

11. LSU (1-0) – Dramatic last second shootout victory serves to prove their mettle and the fact that their defense is not as good as everyone was saying.

12. Miami (0-1) – DNP. Didn’t play, didn’t lose. But the QB might have still been hurried.

13. Purdue (2-0) – Great offense, but they allowed 24 to Akron. Uh-oh. Shore that up before you get to conference play.

14. Georgia Tech (2-0) – Gutty win in a potential let down game against UNC. This team is a threat to the ACC elite.

15. Notre Dame (2-0) – Two big wins, a great offense, an incredible coach, and a whole lot of angst about how far this team could go.

16. Michigan (1-1) – Okay, so they strung two consistent halves of football together…two bad halves. Now am I still stupid for ranking this team outside of the top ten? Hey, I thought they would win this one. I think they have another loss or two coming.

17. Ohio State (1-1) – Tough loss that proved the maxim true: If you have two QBs, you have no QBs. Both of them made crucial mistakes in crunch time. This team will lose another game this year, because they still don’t have an offense. Am I still an idiot for not listening to ESPN on this ranking either?

18. Arizona State (1-1) – This offense is tough to stop, but unfortunately they didn’t have the ball last. Better clock management and they really do have an outside shot at USC.

19. Oklahoma (1-1) – A strong fourth quarter help you finally close the door on that tough Tulsa team…er… Will this team beat UCLA next week? UCLA put up 60+ in their last game. Look out. Surely OU are not 100% run this year, right?

20. Clemson (2-0) – I said this last week too: “Got away with a win over a better opponent” but this time the opponent had a better coach. They are starting to believe in themselves, which will go a long way in college football. Whitehurst still looks good.

21. Texas A&M (0-1) – DNP. Had a week to contemplate hiring a new coach to match their great talent.

22. Fresno State (1-0) – You’d better beat Weber State 55-17. The funniest part was that at one point ESPN had a gamebreak just to show a highlight of a Fresno St. score. This is against Weber State!!! How does this defense allow 17???

23. Boston College (2-0) – Okay, BC 2…cupcakes 0. Now play someone to show us that you are for real. Their annual date with ND is looking like it could be fun.

24. Colorado (2-0) – Shut out New Mexico St. Good job, but so could my buddies and I. I still like your chances in the north, is you can survive your slap fight with Nebraska.

25. California (2-0) – Okay, two solid wins over no one in particular, but the last no one was a conference game. I’ll give you a nod.


Why I am so smart…
1. My thoughts on Michigan – any questions about their ranking this week?

2. My thoughts on Ohio State – any questions regarding their ranking this week? Pick a QB and stick with it. Bottom line.

3. My thoughts on Texas – I knew they would win.

4. My thoughts on LSU and Arizona State – You will notice that I had them ranked 16 and 17 with LSU just slightly better. Not bad, huh?

5. Echo: My thoughts on Adrian Peterson and the Heisman race – Who isn’t looking run at this point?


Why I am an absolute moron…
1. My thoughts on Texas – Did I say three TD win??? I meant three point win.

2. My thoughts on Iowa – I really thought they were great. Iowa State didn’t.

3. My continued belittling of Georgia Tech – I should probably rank them in the top 15 at this point, but I had given their spot to teams like Michigan.

4. My leaving Bowling Green QB, Omar Jacobs off of my Heisman watch list – 2 Games and he has 1000+ yards and 10 TDS. Stat-monster in a down conference.

5. My thoughts on Oklahoma – I figured they would regroup and blow Tulsa away…whoops. They did regroup, and still can’t throw worth jack.


Intriguing Question…
So TCU was handled, 21-10, by SMU. Could SMU therefore handle OU? This is getting fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chips said...

O.k. you've convinced me. Both the big two (and the other 10 bozos) and the big ten suck.

Other notes:
- Louisville's still a pansie and because of there schedule will have no opportunity to prove otherwise.
- Iowa and OU should be dropped completely.
- If Vandy wins next week against Ole Miss and goes 3-0 with two SEC wins, what do ya say?

September 13, 2005 11:35 AM

 
Blogger adam said...

Iowa will rebound and compete in the big ten. OU will work out some kinks and finish with three or four losses. One more loss and OU is gone from the top 25, but Iowa has only lost one game at this point.

As to Vandy--I am already this close!

September 13, 2005 3:16 PM

 
Blogger adam said...

By the way, welcome Chips. Glad you could join us.

September 13, 2005 3:23 PM

 
Blogger Rell said...

adam mind if i link your college football poll?

you could link my heisman updates if you want?

shoot me an e-mail, rellevent@yahoo.com

September 13, 2005 10:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home