Regular musings about those things most important in life--especially family, music, and college athletics. I hope you laugh. Please don't throw rocks at me.

31 March 2006

Today's Elvis

Quesolitos, it is so hard to hide my excitement rigt now. I have had an experience that only comes about every once in a while--well, actually it comes about every thursday at the local grinder eatery, as well as every tuesday at the Rax roastbeef sandwich place. Nevertheless, what I witnessed was special...and I highly recommend it.

Basically, it's like this. Unwittingly, I went with some friends to the local grinder shop--its a toasted hoagie that it flat out good. Funny enough, they had a special on pizzas, so we went with the pizza--not bad...not on the diet, but the trick is to not let the exception (pizza) overtake and become the rule (salad). So anyway, we sit down to talk waiting on our pizza and, that is when it happened. Or should I say HE happened.

I noticed that the place was a little busier than usual, and that most of the patrons were above the age of 60. I knew that the pizza wasn't that much of a draw, but then I saw a guy setting up some speakers. Not long after that, he started in. He was dressed in some tight black jeans, a blue denim shirt unbuttoned three buttons to show some chest hair, a black faux leather vest, shades indoors, and poofy hair with sideburns. The real kicker was the oversized TCB necklace he wore. Oh yeah! and Boy Howdy! You guessed it! An Elvis impersonator!!!

And not just any Elvis impersonator, this was "Today's Elvis": Scotty Zion!!! No lie. I wish he had a website so that I could link you to it, but if you google Scotty Zion he is listed in several websites under the "entertainment" listings or (my personal favorite) "Nightlife" listings.

What was amazing is that as I laughed and snickered at Scotty, who was giving it his all with his Karaoke band playing loudly behind him, the old folks started to get up and dance in the middle of this sandwich shop. No lie, as he snag, no crooned, "He's playing Solitaire" there were at least six couples dancing. One was even younger, around thrity--granted he was wearing a Nascar shirt and she ran her hands through his mullet as they danced--but people were into this guy. Proof that passion matters so much more than simply being talented.

Wish you were here.

God save the Cheese.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would have danced.....wow was that an awesome experience.

March 31, 2006 10:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just goes to show that romance is alive and well in Indiana, complete with "she ran her fingers through his mullet as they danced." Surely there's a novel in there somewhere!!!
Love you Ad
Auntie J.

April 01, 2006 7:43 PM

 
Blogger James Y said...

Do you know how long it's been since I thought about Rax? I'll call you later.

April 02, 2006 8:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotty Zion is a retard.i know him personaly.one of my family members use to work with him.he would play with my hair and say dumb things.yeah, he is an ok singer, but he is annoying and strange.

April 08, 2006 6:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home