Regular musings about those things most important in life--especially family, music, and college athletics. I hope you laugh. Please don't throw rocks at me.

21 June 2005

The Greatest Rivalry of All Time - Mankind and Gravity

Hey Hey K fans! Another glorious work day! Nothing beats the great indoors--the hum of the outdated computer, the gnaw of the paper shredder, the pounding on the jammed copier...Man oh man, you gotta love it.

In my first post, I told you that occasionally I would provide proof for the claim that my wife Kelly is the most incredible woman in the universe. Here is just a small example:

For her birthday, with no coercion from me (I promise), she asked for something she has always wanted--tickets to see the Yankees and the Red Sox play (no, she is not a true fan of either, but knows that opportunities to see a great rivalry in full swing don't come around that often...and she has the plain sense enough to love the game of baseball). So a few weeks ago, we loaded up the family wagon and went to the Big Apple to sit in Yankee's Stadium and watch the Red Sox pound Mike Mussina out in three innings, and get some insurrance off of Wang and Stanton. The Red Sox won 7-5.

Of special interest, there was a fight in the section next to us after which everyone in the section wearing Red Sox gear (fair?) was thrown out of the game (8 guys and gals in all).

Even better, our seats being in row M of the top tier there were many steps to get there. We sat two rows above row K which had an absolutely brutal step that was just about 1/2 of an inch taller than all of the other stairs in the section and that caused people to trip, especially those with their hands full. This was priceless. Best seats in the house, I promise. Being in the spill zone as people fell forward, my foot was soaked in lemonade and beer by the end of the game, and I heard many normally well mannered and Christian people curse as they picked themselves and their now wasted hotdogs and nachos up off of the steps.

I saw the same girl fall four times. Four times!

The step became the game within the game. As people trudge down between innings to refuel, you knew they had to ascend those steps again...that meant they had to pass row K again...that meant they would probably fall again. I take special pleasure in watching people fall (but not as much pleasure as my cousin James does...he loves it!). To make matters worse, I ended up informing people around us as to the nature of the height of the step and the frequency of falls. So now there were like fifteen of us just watching people come up the steps--kind of like watching a car wreck (you know you should turn away but can't). Of course, we were all waiting for it, so when they fell, we all started laughing. We weren't laughing at them, we were laughing at the situation...and them. It was crushing for them. They fell and everyone really did see and laugh. That made it even funnier.

Their injury did result in a personal insult to me though--I missed a Bellhorn groundout on my score card--could've been 4-3, 5-3, 6-3, 1-3, or just plain old 3. I don't know--a guy in a tan windbreaker had just given his soda, and the cheese fries that it landed in, to the merciless step and had to tell his son not to say what he just said.

It is experiences like these that compose just a bit of the evidence that she is indeed incredible.

Well, let that keep you going until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home